Bah, that's mostly Amsoil sales hype. ;-) That link is comparing ONE
particular Amsoil product to ONE particluar M-1 product. And, it's a
weight not approved for use in Mercedes engines (being an xW-30, which
is too thin.)

Amsoil actually buys their base stocks from Mobil and then adds their
proprietary additive package. Amsoil is great stuff, don't get me
wrong. I feel most Amsoil oils are about equal in performance to most
M-1 oils, and either will embarrass all the Group III 'fake'
synthetics (which are basically hydrocracked dino oils that exhibit
some of the properties of true Group IV/V synthetics).

Simple answer: If you want to use synthetics (which we've already
agreed isn't for everyone and that's OK!), just buy the Mobil-1 5W-40
variety. Period. Works in all climates and in all MB engines. Under
$4/qt if you don't mind shopping for it at Mall-Wart (yeah, I know,
the evil empire... but we can't get the 5qt jug anywhere else.)

The M-1 15W-50  is now only available as 'Extended' for more money,
and IMO, it's not worth paying a premium for it.

:-)

-dm