Dave M. wrote:
Wooops - think I got that confused with the lifter issue, which was
separate. (Sorry!) On second thought, I believe the lifter noise was
with the 0W-40 variety of M-1, and the noise would go away when
switching back to 15W-50 or 0W-40. Brian T wasn't impressed with the
0W-40 and someone else had less than stellar results too. I thought
Marshall had that with SynTec as well, but apparently my memory was on
the fritz and it was just a consumption problem (which IMO, is more
serious!) I think the 0W-40 is used as factory fill for fuel economy,
not for protetction... I wouldn't put it in my cars. YMMV, etc.

For reasons that escape me, the labeling of oil according to it's viscosity at high and low temperatures seems to be much more a matter of marketing than of science. The "40" of M-1 0W-40 is at the very low end of the allowable range (12.5-16.3 cSt) of 40 weight oils right there with the the high end of 30 weight oils (9.3-12.5 cSt). Nobody seems to have grasped the idea that if we have 15W-xx oil or 5W-xx oil we COULD also have xW-35 oil!

This is from the Advance Auto site: http://www.advanceautoparts.com/english/youcan/html/ccr/ccr20010101ov.html

Multigrade oils typically begin as base oils, such as 10W. Then viscosity-index modifiers (polymers) are added in an effort to stabilize the viscosity. This allows a 10W40 oil to flow like a 10W at cold temperatures and a 40W at higher temperatures.

The multigrade oils' viscosity modifiers are long-chain molecules that lessen the change of viscosity with temperature variance. In the past, the polymer additives (used to thicken the oil) were sometimes susceptible to viscosity loss. Permanent viscosity loss occurred when high shear forces (such as the relationship between the main bearings and the crankshaft) actually break the polymer molecules into less-effective smaller pieces. On a similar note, temporary viscosity loss also occurred when the polymer molecules aligned themselves in order to create a path of least resistance.

Fortunately, today's additive packages have improved oil's shear-resistance. However, oils with the same rating from different manufacturers can exhibit different viscosity ratings in an operating engine, depending on the shear stability of their viscosity-modifying additives.

For technoids, weights are defined thusly (stokes and centistrokes are measurements of viscosity):

"SAE 30 is SAE 30 no matter what the "W" prefix number is: 0W, 5W or 10W. This viscosity in centistokes (cSt) @ 100 degrees C is with the minimum of 9.3 cSt and a maximum of 12.5 cSt.

"SAE 40 is SAE 40 no matter what the "W" prefix number is: 5W, 10W, 15W or 20W. The viscosity @ 100 degrees C is within the minim of 12.5 cSt and a maximum of 16.3 cSt.

"SAE 50 is SAE 50 no matter what the "W" prefix number is: 5W, 10W, 15W or 25W. The viscosity @ 100 degrees C is within the minimum of 16.3 cSt and a maximum of 21.9 cSt.

"SAE 60 is SAE 60 no matter what the "W" prefix number is: 10W, 15W or 25W. The viscosity @ 100 degrees C is within the minimum of 21.9 cSt and a maximum of 26.1 cSt.

"There is no SAE 70 and no one is likely to make one with a "W" prefix number although it is possible using a synthetic base oil. This viscosity is identified as Grade 70. The viscosity @ 100 degrees C has a minimum of 26.1 cSt and no maximum."

The difference between a multigrade and a singlegrade oil: The singlegrade can't pass the low temperature viscosity test. If it did meet one of the following "W" viscosities, it would be a multigrade.

Singlegrade oils will become obsolete for performance engines in the future. We dropped SAE 30 and SAE 40 because SAE 10W40 does everything 30 or 40 can do—and some things the straight grades can't do—like increasing horsepower. If an off-roader doesn't like 10W40, then use 20W50. It can do everything a 10W40 can do except pass the sub-zero viscosity test at -20 degrees C.

Multigrade viscosities are run at six different sub-zero temperatures. When a racing-oil designer puts a formula together, he has to know the viscosity at 100 degrees C of every component in the additive composition. He has to have a target viscosity objective for the finished oil in each SAE grade. Once a formula is established, the technician who supervises the blending has to duplicate this formula in the correct proportions every time the product is blended. The viscosity at 100 degrees C has a plus or minus written into the oil's quality-control specification.

Multigrade or Multi-Vis?
One oil manufacturer claims that "some people in the industry use multi-viscosity as if it means the same thing as multigrade. An oil cannot be multi-viscosity, but it can be multigrade by meeting the viscosity requirements for SAE 30, 40, 50 or 60 and one of the sub-zero "W" viscosity requirements. At one time, some oil companies labeled oils SAE 10W, 20W30—as if the oil could be 10W and 20W at the same time. This is impossible because 10W is measured at -20 degrees C and 20W is measured at -10 degrees C, which eliminates the multi-viscosity theory."

There is NO reason why a 0W-40 oil shouldn't work fine in a modern engine (the film strength and lubricity is MORE than sufficient by a VERY wide margin), but it MIGHT not be entirely suitable for an engine with less demanding tolerances or one that had been run on considerably more viscous oil for an extended period and thus required a more viscous oil to fill in the voids! I'm NOT disputing that lifter noise returned to Brian or Wray's engines when they changed to 0W-40 and diminished or vanished with the return to 15W-50 or 5W-40. I wonder what would have happened if the 0W-40 had remained in there for 10-20kmi? I would (perhaps naively) expect the engine to quiet down as the oil allowed the surfaces to take on and retain a smoother and smoother polish (just like breaking in the engine all over again).

I fall back on the axiom that for automotive use, that as long as your oil meets the shear tolerance, film strength and lubricity requirements and contains appropriate additives, you should use the "thinnest" oil you can afford (thin oil WILL be consummed faster so you WILL use more of it and it will cost more to run it) as the thinner the oil is at cold startup, the sooner the oil begins to lubricate and minimize cold startup wear (by far the leading cause of automotive engine wear). In special cases (like racing), the VERY high temp characteristics also come into play, but not in MOST passenger car applications.

Marshall
'87 300TD 181Kmi,'87 190D 2.5 199Kmi, '84 190D 2.2 227Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 159Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 234kmi
      Diesel Technical Advisor MBCA, member GWSection
    http://www.dhc.net/~pmhack/mercedes/mbooth1.htm