TimothyPilgrim wrote:
> I had the reverse problem one time. I pushed down on the brake and it
> went totally soft, almost to the floor. Scared the hell outta me
> because I was on the highway at the time doing 70 mph. I got off the
> highway onto slower streets, and the problem has never happened since.
> Just that one press was all it was.

It might have been "pad kickback." Pad kickback happens when the rotor
shifts enough, usually under heavy cornering loads, to push the brake
pads back into the calipers.  When you step on the pedal, nothing
happens at first because you're pushing the pads back into position.  It
feels very similar to the first pump or two when you're seating new pads
after a brake job.

Some cars have particular problems with this.  I've never heard of it
happening on a Mercedes, but maybe if the wheel bearing play is excessive?