John,

This isn't the President's fault - he actually delared the area a disaster
area before the storm hit so that federal funds would flow that much faster.

It's also not the local politicians fault - they spend funds, including funds
for levee improvement based on the State's wishes & budget restrictions. And
from what I understand, there were levee improvement projects on the books.
But improving levees is like improving the road systems - some of these
projects take decades because of the logistics involved. It's not like you can
tear them down & start over.

The situation is a little more complicated. The inner city in most of our
large cities are is full of the poorest of our people and new Orleans is no
exception. Many did not have the physical or financial means to evacuate
before the storm. Remember, the population was told to evacuate, to
somewhere..... Where were they to go and more important, how were they
supposed to pay to get there?

Now, here they sit in their houses, surrounded by water and all they have
left. They survived the storm and now we want them to leave it all behind to
the looters? No way, at least not until they are starving.

I predict that many residents will stay in New Orleans until thay have
absolutely no choice. The National Guard will still be pulling the dead and
dying out of their houses two weeks from now for no other reason than they
refused to leave. That's not New Orleans, Louisiana, the Federal Government or
the President's fault!

Tom Hargrave
www.kegkits.com