Hi Peter,

That's strange, because a bad EGR valve or lifters should not cause
serious idle problems. But, as long as teh indy has it 90% fixed, I
wouldn't argue too much. ;) If the engine is carboned up, fuel
additives will NOT clean it out - but they will clean the injection
system. As someone else already mentioned, the carbon cleaning process
involves lots of full throttle runs to the redline, preferably uphill.
Don't worry, this doesn't hurt the engine. You should see lots of
smoke out the tailpipe at first, but after a dozen or so WOT runs from
approx 20mph to 80mph, you should get less and less smoke until it's
barely visible. The more carbon there is, the longer it will take.

I'd wonder why he says it's carboned up though, that's hard to tell.
If it's sluggish I'd adjust the ALDA (assuming it's virginal.)

=)

-dm