From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Anthony Galioto
Sent: Sunday, September 11, 2005 9:57 AM
To: Mercedes mailing list
Subject: [MBZ] oil pressure and speedometer 1983 240D

I took a small trip about 125 miles of highway driving at 65-75 mph.  The car
is a 1983 240D with 63,000 miles on it in good condition.  It was a hot day 83+
degrees.  After exiting the turnpike and stopping for a light, I noticed that
the oil pressure gage was fluttering on or about the number 2 on the gage. It
normally stays on the 3 which is the max when at idle in local driving and at
idle.  The water temp stayed on a constant 80C highway and local driving.  The
fluttering is in concert with the rhythm of the engine.  As the car is shut
down even for a short time the pressure returns to the normal 3 at idle without
the flutter.  It seems to me that the oil gets too hot and thins too much at
highway speeds  and returns  to  normal as it thickened during local driving.
The oil being used is Mobil-1 EXTENDED PERFORMANCE 15W-50 with maybe 100 miles
on it since the last oil change.  My question, is there damage being done by
the oil or is there a minor fix?  I'm thinking the small rubber gaskets in the
oil filter might leak the pressure at higher RPMs and therefore result in the
pulsations of the oil pressure at idle. They have never been changed, I am the
original owner of the car.

My second problem occurred at the same time.  I pushed the trip meter on the
speedometer because I wanted to check the fuel mileage on this trip.  I haven't
ever checked it and am curious per the recent discussions on this list.  After
it registered 100 miles it stopped registering. The speed needle is working
fine so I did not notice when the gage stopped recording.  The total miles
odometer stopped recording also at that time.  When I noticed the problem I
clicked it back to zeros.  It still doesn't record, any suggestions?  Thanks