>> There's a 40-pin
>> processor in there, I don't know which one.  But the
>> diagnostic output on X2-1 will do a blink code at
>> you if you hook a voltmeter (logic probe) to it.

According to my notes it's a Motorola chip which, given
the era, probably makes it a 68705 (or possibly 68HC11)
family member.

> Hmph.  I don't have the FSM handy, but I could've sworn it was only
> the '90s 124s that had the diagnostic capability.  Wasn't it one of
> the Dons who freaked out when the recirc light in his 2.5 started
> blinking at him?

As you said, at some point along the line somebody had the
bright idea to hook the blink code output to the recirculation
light so you didn't have to take the console apart in order to
see what its own diagnostics thought, but the output existed
before they thought to do that.  (I think at some point they
ran it to a diagnostic connector somewhere, but not always.)

I know it works, because they've blinked at me on the bench.
(No sensors hooked up, they're a little cranky about that.)
I don't have a secret decoder ring, though.

-- Jim