[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> MB backed off from the "lifetime" term in 2005 and changed it to 39K miles.
> The five-speed transmissions indeed have no converter drain plug but the
> seven
> speeds do have one. The five speed transin my '01 C320 did have a dipstick
> with a locking cap.

Some sealed five-speeds did have a torque converter drain; the 722.622
in my '98 S420 does.  Changing the fluid is much easier than it was on
the .315 in my old 300D.  More expensive, too, as you need fancy oil, a
fancy dipstick "tool" (priced accordingly), an infrared thermometer, and
a new tamperproof lock for the dipstick tube.

Mine is at 149k miles and works perfectly.  I sure hope these things are
good for more than 150k miles.

Tom