Andrew,

Many years ago, I did this on the 300SD.  Memory fades with time.
One thing I do remember is if you pull the wires from the 3W bulbs,
mark the place each one goes and the wire with a different number or
letter.  Otherwise, well you can guess.  The oil pressure light comes
on when you use a turn signal, etc........  BTDT!  You get the picture!

And IIRC, most of the console needs to be removed to get at the
source bulb of the fiber optic lights.  Be gentle and patient........

Take care and good fortune!

Chuck
Phoenix AZ