No society is truly sustainable for any great length of time.  Stuff
happens, people and cultures rise and fall.  Big winds or waters
sweep the land and mess with life.  Most of the indigenous peoples
have figured out a manner to survive these catastrophes as a whole,
but still the Maya, Anasazi, egyptians, zulu, ad infinitum are gone
as dominant cultures

clay