Tyler wrote: "You shouldn't get any pinging on 87 unless there's something
wrong (carboned up? wrong temp spark plugs? advanced timing?). I've never had
pinging issues running 87 in my Volvos, even on turbo models (at stock boost
anyways)."

That is what I thought. But, the owners manual recommended at 91 and said 87
was the minimum.  HOWEVER, it certainly could be carboned up.  The previous
owner 975 year old woman only drove it around town for the last 3 years and
only put a few thousand miles on it a year.  I did try to do come Italian
tune-ups.

Maybe I should get some of that BG 44K stuff.

Donald H. Snook