It has a knock sensor -- should set a trouble code if it's not
working (at least the turbo's have a knock sensor, anyway).  Will
never knock, but running with the ignition retarded murders milage.

One thing to check is the distributor shaft seal.  If you have the
engine with the distributor on the rear of the camshaft, the internal
o-ring will eventually go bad and leak oil into the dizzy, with the
predictable results (severe carbon tracking).  Pull it and check --
if there's oil, you have to take the distributor shaft apart and
renew the o-ring.  Terrible PITA as they are usually VERY stuck, but
worth it in better running.

Peter