Where I routinely flew (100/150 miles east of Cape Cod, at or below 100
feet) I couldn't get a whole lot of radar fixes on land. We zigged and
zagged too much for dead reckoning. I could DR fine if necessary ("home" was
always west of us and there would be an airport somewhere) but my fixes --
we were enforcing fishery zone treaties against those evil Russians and
Japanese factory ships -- had to be taken into court and I had to swear that
I was accurate when I signed the court documents. If I remember, I was
required to be +/- one mile in my fixes. That's tough moving at 130 knots
when you have to pull down two separate Loran A fixes as quickly as
possible. ... These days, you'd just look at the GPS receiver. Wasn't like
that in the 1970s.

--
LT Don
http://don.homelinux.net/~don/