With the discussion about car painting and using the roller method, it
got me thinking about these fairly cheap HVLP sprayers that have their
own air supply and gun, like this $90 one from HF
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=44677

I think Campbell Hausfeld and Rockler (woodworking supply) sell similar
items for about the same price, maybe $60 or $70 on sale occasionally.
I do not have one (I have an HVLP gun I connect to the compressor) but I
understand they do "OK" for what they are.

This might be a reasonable alternative to the roller method as I think
it would save a lot of time and effort and probably give a reasonable
result on a 40-footer.

Note that when I spray I usually just make a quick frame out of some
scrap wood or old 2/4s or something and wrap it with plastic sheet,
contains the over spray well, though with the HVLP you don't get so much.

--R