Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 13:02:42 -0500
From: Loren Faeth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [MBZ] Washing machines; was: Mercedes Digest, Vol 34, Issue
    126
To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>

The washers built 40 years ago with blackmore or blackwell (or
something like that) designed guts had a spin cycle like a commercial
laundry extractor (centrifuge).  They would wind up and whine like a
banshee, but stuff came out pretty dry.  They were deemed unsafe by
our "consumer watchdogs."  I prefer to think of things labelled
"unsafe" as Darwinian selection devices.  Part of our society's
problems have been caused by coddling the people stupid enough to
burn themselves with fast food coffee, etc.  Or at least not
self-sufficient enough to deal with the consequences of their actions.

Tricycle tractors come to mind.  An International H or Super C is a
wonderful device, as long as you respect it.  Slip up, and it will kill ya!

I have logged lotsa hours on H and A tractors  I love em.  An H will
spin on a dime and give back change.

At 12:30 PM 9/23/2008, you wrote:
>Dan Weeks wrote:
> > I did that one winter also. NOT a good idea. lots of moisture on the
> > windows, stuff got mildewed, etc.
> >
> > There's a HELL of a lot of water in a load of laundry.
>
>If you're going to keep that water indoors, get yourself some wooden drying
>racks and quit running the dryer. Then, instead of covering the walls, doors,
>windows with water, the clothes will release the water as the air
>can handle it.
>Also, the amount of water depends on the spin speed of the washer. With my
>Fisher and Paykel, I can wash my heavy winter coat and air dry it on
>the rack in
>a few hours. With a 40 year old Kenmore, the coat would drip water
>on the floor
>if I hung it up straight from the washer.

Loren Faeth