Before my time. When I earned my Aircrew Wings (1976) the Albatross had been
banned from water landings and was being babied for more potential years on
the airframe. We were based at the Otis AFB site, really long runways (only
a third of which we needed on Runway 32).

Was a kick on runway 32 to be airborne (gear up) leaving or come to a full
stop landing (returning) with lots of F-106 "skid marks" still out in front
of us on the runway.

USCG pilots learned in Pensacola to land on a carrier if necessary. USAF
pilots learned to land on a continent.    :-)

I was also nav qualified in the HH-3F, but JATO is discouraged in
helicopters!

http://military.usptgear.com/Share/Utils/view.asp?ProdID=HOOVER15240

But I flew with some "experienced" pilots who told great stories of four/six
JATO bottles each side on a water take-off in the HU-16E.

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 6:28 PM, Wilton Strickland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> BTW, you know, of course, what is commonly known as
> JATO is REALLY  RATO (Rocket Assisted Take Off).  Did you ever see it used
> on a CG aircraft?  'Think I've seen some photos of such.
>
> Wilton

LT Don
http://don.homelinux.net/~don/