There was no civil war in the US, what are you talking about?

Hendrik & Fay wrote:
OK lets look at Lincoln, it's been a while since I studied the civil war but to simplify it, Lincoln had three choices, one appease the separatists and let the south keep slavery in place, two let the union break apart (thus the US would be split in two and may well have taken different sides in the European civil wars, leading to all sorts of complication, perhaps even delaying the American civil war until such a time when military technology had progressed but tactics had not) or option three, stand up to the separatists. I don't what your thoughts are on what should have happened but I feel that it was pretty much inevitable that there was going to be a war, whether over slavery or other issues. Lincoln knew this and figured on the balance of things it is better to take a stand in the beginning, rather than slowly retreat on issues until such time that further retreat is not an option.

Hendrik

Gary Hurst wrote:
yeah, dubya has to join the rogues gallery as well . roosevelt was just
crippled in body and spirit.  lincoln seemed organically brain damaged as
well.  dubya?  just THAT stupid and mean.

Kaleb C. Striplin/Claremore, OK
 92 300SD, 92 300E 4Matic, 91 300D, 91 300E, 89 560SEL,
 87 300SDL x2, 86 300E, 85 380SE 5.0 Euro, 85 190D,
 84 190D, 84 300D euro manny, 81 240D, 80 240D, 76 240D,
 76 300D, 72 250C, 69 250, 66 220SEb