From: ernest breakfield <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Trans fluid
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED], "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Date: Monday, October 20, 2008, 2:31 PM

hi Curt!

    not sure which trans is in that rig, but if it's one of the ChryCo
trannys, they don't necessarily have the best reputation for longevity,
and you may be at the end of its natural life.

    that said, i've had symptoms like what you describe in one of our
vehicles, and in 2 cases it's been found to be issues with sensors; one
was the Vehicle Speed Sensor in the trans itself, and the other was the
Throttle Position Sensor. changing those out may be cheap enough to try
that i'd try that before i'd commit to chancing using any additives in
it. (i'd also try putting some better ATF like M1 or RedLine in it
before i tried any additives,...)

cheers!

Curt Raymond wrote:

  Well back around Christmas Angie had to drive home (about 10 miles) in first
gear as the trans wouldn't shift up at all.
I drained some out and put in the Lucas, I figured I had nothing to lose at
that point. I ran it around the neighborhood some (still in first) and put it
to bed. On Christmas eve (the following day) I ran it around some more and
found that if I manually shifted into neutral it would then shift up although
sometimes there was a delay. After more driving (my 190D was getting a new
starter) it would shift up and down and hardly ever need the neutral trick. I
had the fluid and filter changed with Mobil 1 and it got even better. Now its
been oh maybe 15,000 miles and its back.
Remember this is a Dodge Dakota v8 with 220,000 miles on the original trans
(well, probably original, I bought it with 58,000) and its been worked hard.

I *think* its a sticky valve, the Lucas appears to be ATF with extra detergents
and some thickener. I only used about half the bottle (the bottle is a quart)
last time. Figure I'll do the same now, again I've got nothing to lose. I am
NOT planning on rebuilding the trans in this truck, that'd be dumb, its got
220,000 miles, it needs a heatercore, radiator, exhaust, and has some pretty
nasty rust plus some of the paint has failed so rust there is just a matter of
time. The bumper for instance is just chrome plating foil at this point, theres
very little metal left. Oh I forgot the transfer case which is also pretty much
shot... Its been a great truck but its at the end of its useful life.

-Curt