Changed the oil in the diff on my 190D today. If you remember its howling, its
gotten worse too...
This is an easy job, 15 minutes the first time 10 thereafter. I put the car up
on ramps, the 190D is hard to get under... My driveway is sloped slightly which
probably caused me to not drain out all the oil. I only got a bit over a full
quart (1.2 maybe) in before it started draining back out.

The stuff that came out was filthy. I thought my Indy had changed it but now
that I remember our conversation I think maybe he just checked it for level.
He's an old school mechanic and I don't think he believes in Mobil 1.
I should point out that I had to top up the engine oil while I was at it and
the car is now consuming a quart in 5,000 miles which is well improved from a
quart in 2,000 when I first converted to Mobil 1.

Anyway I've got to go into Boston tonight, thats maybe 150 miles round trip.
Will see if this makes any difference. As usual I don't expect a short term
improvement (maybe since the old stuff was dirty) but will look for long term
gains. I'll probably change again next week since I'm sure I didn't get it all
out. Maybe turn the car around so the ass end is downhill. I had it uphill
today as it rained yesterday but the ground had already dried by the garage.

-Curt