>From one of Marshall's posts --

"John, The failures you are fearing are VERY rare (once it's established
you don't have a defective - fast wearing timing chain that were
installed in a small percentage of 92-94 Mercedes diesels) if you pay
any attention to maintenance. Simply checking the chain is THE way to
insure then chain is not worn to the point of needing replacement.
Checking the chain stretch will immediately let you know if you are
experiencing abnormal chain wear (should average less than 1 degree
every 100kmi). Chain stretch rate is a funcion of lubrication and is
inversely correlated to oil change interval and the quality of the oil.
Injection pump filures are extremely rare unless you play with it! Of
all of the 60x engine I know of only 3 or 4 have have failed (I know of
a few more that have been BROKEN)."

"Vacuum pump wear rate is also correlated with the quality and
cleanliness of the oil. Better oil that's kept clean causes less wear -
AND if the vacuum pump is changed every 150-200kmi, the chances of a
pump failure is considerably less than 1%. Even if the vacuum pump
should fail, fewer than 5% will suffer serious engine damage."

"THESE just are not frequent problems."

"I've attached the TSB on checking the chain (change the chain if the
wear exceeds 4 degrees - TSB says 3, but that was related to checking
during the warranty period) but it will be stripped from the list copy."

On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 12:01 PM, LarryT <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Howdy -
> Forgot to include this question - what kind of mileage are people getting on
> W124 300D timing chains - using Mobil 1 for at least 1/2 it's total life.?
>
> I'm at ~160K now and have no reason to think it has stretched - but plan to
> check it soon - unless someone says the chains wear out at 100K I don't see
> a rush - since I have a fractured leg I'd have to pay a shop to do it and
> I'd prefer not to go to that "extreme". ;-) if there's no rush -
>
> TIA -
>
> Sincerely,
> Larry T  (74 911, 91 300D 2.5T)
> www.youroil.net Oil Analysis Kits &
> Porsche Posters/Weber parts
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "LarryT" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

OK Don, KD5NRO
Norman, OK
"There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and
mountaineering; all the rest are merely games."  - Ernest Hemingway
'90 300D (Rattled),  '92 300D (Saber), ''97 Ply Grand Voyager (Vincent van-go)