Mitch Haley wrote:

I thought the "WDB" VINs were for Westgermany, Daimler Benz, so "W" from SA puzzles me too. Now that Deutchland has been reunited and West Germany is no more, what do the German cars start with, a "D"? Does the "W" now mean "South Africa"?

W still means Germany/West Germany. The next two are a manufacturer's code; DB = Daimler Benz. I don't know if OstGermany joined the VIN standardization club, but our Trabant starts with E, but it is a '75.

South Africa should start with A. Maybe they're only assembling knocked-down kits there, with enough work done in Germany to warrant a W VIN? The Monroney on the new C I looked at last week said "Final Assembly" was in East London, ZA with something like 80+% of the parts content coming from Germany.

Tom
When I was young, all this made sense.