Is it an AMD processor? Every AMD I've ever owned, after about 12-18 months
of use (but I'm a bit hard on machines) has *required* me to pull the
heatsink, clean the sink and the proc *completely* and reapply thermal
transfer grease.

They run hot enough to literally *boil off* *freaking grease*!

Once the grease is gone, the heat sink is next to worthless because it is
not adequately doing it's job. Then you start getting really odd, heat
related errors. Like odd reboots, or complete system freezes.

But you shut down, reboot, and it's cooled off enough to get half way
through a boot, then bam, dead again.

Pull the sink, check the grease.

EdB

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 4:05 PM, Kaleb C. Striplin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> I got this compaq computer I have been messing with on and off.  Its
> problem was it would be running, then all the sudden just reboot for no
> reason.  It just did it every once in a while and started getting worse.  It
> would get to where you could not even power it on at all.  So Im thinking
> power supply.  Put in a new one, it seems to power on, and it will run fine
> for about 10-15 minutes, then it starts the crap again. Will just shutoff
> and reboot, sometimes it will finish loading windows, most of the time it
> just sits there and reboots over and over again. So, maybe memory, I swap
> that, no change, I start disabling onboard items such as LAN, ports etc
> thinking something is flaky, no go.  So now I am thinking something with the
> board or processor is flaky, in which case, probably not worth messing with.
>  Its a decent system in relative terms in that its a 1.whatever gig
> processor, decent size hard drive, 256 or so ram.  Several years old but
> still worth running.  What do you guys think any other ideas I have not
> covered?  If I cant get it to work with XP, I may run it with linux just to
> see what happens.  OR, I may just part it out so to speak.
> --
> Kaleb C. Striplin/Claremore, OK
>  92 300SD, 92 300E 4Matic, 91 300D, 91 300E, 89 560SEL,
>  87 300SDL x2, 85 380SE 5.0 Euro, 85 190D, 84 190D x2,
>  84 300D euro manny, 81 240D, 80 240D, 76 240D,
>  76 300D, 72 250C, 69 250, 66 220SEb

"I'm a Night Elf Mohawk!" - Mr. T.