-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of David Brodbeck
Sent: Wednesday, September 21, 2005 4:26 PM
To: Mercedes mailing list
Subject: [MBZ] OT: Immigration (was: Re: ABC news item on veg oil in
USdiesels)

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 13:15:53 -0500, Potter, Tom  E wrote
> Things have changed a bit. It has been years since I looked into
> emigrating to Australia or NZ. I do not fault them for their
> policies. I wish we had a coherent immigration policy.

Canada's policies seem interesting.  They're pretty selective, but they
also
seem to go out of their way to make it easy to apply.

I know a few people who have gone through the process of immigrating
into
the U.S., and it was an incredibly complex, bureaucratic process that
required hiring a lawyer.  There were a lot of hoops to jump through,
and at
nearly every stage the INS office would lose some critical piece of
paperwork and claim it had never been submitted.  One gentleman I know
who
moved here was supposed to get his green card over a year ago and is
still
trying to get the INS to admit they lost the paperwork.  They told him
the
only way to get the status of his application is to file a Freedom Of
Information Act request!