Fred and ALL:

Fred that was a great call. It appears that the sensor took care of the problem. It stumbled a couple of times when i started it, but then seemed fine after that. I figured the stumbling may have just been some residue from before the sensor was changed.

It was a bear of a job! I was unable to get the old sensor to turn in the hole. the lug broke off before the thing turned. then I broke off the plug. then i tried to grab what was left with vice grips. what was sticking out crumbled, but nothing budged.

it took me 5 hours of fiddling before I finally got the remains out. It is mounted on the backside of the engine where you can't see it aimed toward the front of the van. I went in with a burr on a dremel, then tried to put a screw in the hole and pull it. The screw got it turning in the hole, but it would not extract. I kept pulling out pieces of plastic with the screw. Then i tried lag screws. Could not get them to stick. Then I tried to rout out all the innards of the sensor with a burr. After I got most of the insides out of the shell, it finally came out.

I lubed the new sensor liberally. I am sure that is a no-no, but I don't ever want to spend 6 hours on what should have been a 1 hour job again! The bell housing is an Aluminum alloy, and it oxidized to lock in the old sensor. I love never-seez.

you have to remove the air-intake between the air cleaner and the intake manifold/throttle body to get access. It is done from the top.

Has anyone successfully changed the plugs on the back bank of a v-6 in a 96-200? Dodge caravan? are 2 of them accessible from underneath? It looks like I can get the one on the driver's side from on top, and maybe the middle one. Thanks to all!