I think people forget that the success of Japanese manufacturing is due to W. Edwards Deming influence in making the Japanese statistically account for any problem with things they make and strive towards perfection. One would think that any issues with american built toyota would be flagged and fixed immediately.

Ignoring it on purpose is of course possible.

In fact a friend of mine who had purchased a new Toyota minivan and had is wife put 50K miles on it in one year actually had the dealer call him up and they swapped the transmission out because he was one of the folks in north america who put on the highest milage in a year on a new type of transmission
and they were eager to understand how it had performed.

http://www.deming.org/theman/articles/articles_50influenced01.html