Tom Hargrave wrote:
Especially on pre 90's cars, if you didn't service the plugs, wires,
distributor cap, battery and carburetor regularly you had a very poor
performing car at best or one that would not start in the morning at worse.
And I had friends who always complained about their cars while I rarely had
an issue with anything from the 60s or 70s.

And how many people remember those wonderful Toyotas of the 1980s with the CV carburetors that would get worn out CV slides and other fatal problems, with replacement carbs costing $600, or about as much as a diesel IP rebuild? Most people just put up with a car that stumbled a lot instead of ponying up the cash.

Mitch.