I have the altimax on my 190D, but I have not had any snow time with them yet.

Mitch Haley wrote:
Wonko the Sane wrote:
After going back and forth with myself over whether to buy four winter tires or four good all-season tires, I have just about talked myself into getting
four Goodyear Assurance Triple Tred for the 300E tomorrow.  Ranked #1 at
TireRack.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Assurance+TripleTred

195/65/15?

If so, they are $17 less than the MXV4, but $33 more than the Altimax HP grand touring tires.

http://tinyurl.com/195tires

It's up to you. The Altimax HP pulls the Achieva over hills in deep enough snow to drag the spoiler. (and that spoiler is 5-6" off the ground) I can't speak for the Michelin or the Goodyear, but all three seem to be well regarded. Notice the similarities between the Tripletred and Altimax HP pictures. I'll know how good the Altimax really are when the snow gets deep enough to drag the floorpan. Rain performance is the best I've ever experienced.

High rated touring all season tires to look at:
Pirelli P4 Four Seasons (only S speed, but $70 with good ratings)
Yokohama AVID TRZ (also $70, T speed rated)
Kumho Solus KR21 ($60, T)
BFGoodrich Traction T/A T ($67, T-rated) $59 in 205/60/15 makes it a bargain

High performance all season: (hey, when you're already at $100, these are in your price range) Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S (these are kick butt tires for $103 or $102 in 205/60))
Dunlop SP Sport Signature (oops, not available in 195/65/15)

Ultra High performance all season (these are actually cheaper than the Goodyear tripletred)
Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position
Continental ContiExtremeContact (another one not available in 195/65)
(I'm ignoring some high rated tires that aren't as high rated in deep snow)

You might look at the Goodyear Eagle GT, but I suspect it isn't as snow oriented as the others I've mentioned. Good bit cheaper than the tripletred though. Unless you're looking to cruise at 120mph, even the S rated tires should be adequate, but the car probably came with T or H speed tires when new.

Kaleb C. Striplin/Claremore, OK
 92 300SD, 92 300E 4Matic, 91 300D, 91 300E, 89 560SEL,
 89 300E, 87 300SDL x2, 85 380SE 5.0 Euro, 85 190D, 84 190D x2,
 84 300D euro manny, 81 240D, 80 240D, 76 240D, 76 300D,