Dwight wrote: "Yes-skill and commonsense are not replaced by a 4WD.  After
years of 4WD-Jimmy, Subaru's, Land Rover I thought I would miss it when I
switched to the 240D automatic-RWD of course.  With 4 studded snows, I was
surprised at what I could do in deep snow, rutted  muddy dirt roads, etc.  Here
in RI-ice and shallow packed snow are more the challenges of daily driving.  I
tell my wife that she is better off in winter with the 300D with 4 wheel discs
and ABS than in the Forester which has rear drums and no ABS.  The challenge
here is STOP not GO. Of course, you have to stay off the turbo on  the 300D-not
an issue on the 240D or Subaru."

I hated driving my 90 300D 2.5 in the snow without snow tires. I thought it was
one of the worst snow cars around. Now, I am sure a lot of that has to be with
not being very experienced in driving rear wheel drive cars in the snow - so I
will admit much of may have been attributed to operator error.  But, I did
think once the snow tires were on it, the car did fairly well. However, I
prefer driving front wheel drive cars in the snow. Again, it is probably just
my own experiences with FWD versus RWD.  I don't remember what brand snow tires
I put on the car - you can ask Ok Don and see if he likes them.  I never did
put four snow tires on the car, it wasn't worth it to me driving in the limited
amount of snow that we get here in Kansas.

Donald H. Snook