After having bought a diesel compression gauge - not the motometer one
unfortunately- I find I always got low compression values - around 16 bar.
The instrument has a long ( 430 mm ) 1/4 " ID pipe going to the non-return
value which is at the base of the gauge. Well I did some calculations and
the volume of the pipe leading up to the gauge is about 13.8 cm3 ! When
compared to the combustion chamber volume of around 27.2 cm3 it is quite
significant as the pipe volume can be considered as part of the combustion
chamber . This reduces the effective compression ratio to about 14.6! - no
wonder the pressures are always pretty low. Are my assumptions correct ?
Does the motometer instrument have the non return valve at the "engine" end
?

Peter