Yes but a Government is charged with looking after ALL it's citizens.

Plenty of use think that it is, in fact, not.

At the start of the movie Moore showed a bloke putting stitches in his knee because he has no health insurance, are you saying that he would have gotten treated at the local hospital for free?

As I understand it, yes.

I do believe there is a system in place called unemployment benefits which enable those with no means to buy food, although if they do or not is questionable.

Those are State-run, not Federal, and such benefits are limited
to those who have been employed.  Also, they run out, and there
are often strings attached.  All as it should be, IMHO.

I don't believe in funding charity at the point of a gun, which
is what any State-run program is.

Our system is badly broken, but I haven't seen any other system
that I believe is fundamentally better, all things considered.
I think that what we just signed up for, a Health Savings Account
in conjunction with a high deductible, is one of the better ideas
I've heard about.

What we _need_, is a health care system that encourages competition,
and thus the application of everybody's brain, rather than some hidden
somebody-else-pays-except-that-it's-really-me-if-you-dig-deep-enough
kind of system.

-- Jim