Here is what I would do. Make note of all your hardware such as sound card, video, etc. Make sure your restore disks work just in case. Do a complete wipe of the drive and install xp. It should install fine but I bet there will be at least 1 or 2 things that it doesnt install the drivers for. In that case, you will have to go to each manufacturers website for whatever hardware is missing and download the drivers. Probably wont be on the compaq site.

Mitch Haley wrote:
Well, I'm back. (sort of)
Tried swapping power supplies, but all I had is the power supply from the computer that started acting up last winter (would boot, but was unstable) Got the same result after the P/S swap, pilot light glowing on M/B, but absolutely no booting action.

Went to Staples, got a new $300 Compaq (AMD dual core 4800, 3GB ram, Vista Blows Chunks). Spent three hours making a 3 DVD restore disk set, I guess if H/P valued their customers time at more than 50 cents an hour they would have supplied me with restore disks.

Put my old H/D in the new computer, got blue screen of death on start-up. Told it to boot on new hard drive. When I tried to view a folder on my old drive, Vista started hitting me with all sorts of "security permission" crapola because I'm apparently not the same "me" that created the folders on my old drive when it was in my old computer. That's the last straw, Vista Must Die. I suspect running the system restore disk that came with the old eMachine will get me back to the "blue screen of death" phase, so it looks like I either download a Linux distro or buy a full copy of XP.
Mitch.

Kaleb C. Striplin/Claremore, OK
 92 300SD, 92 300E 4Matic, 91 300D, 91 300E, 89 560SEL,
 89 300E, 87 300SDL x2, 85 380SE 5.0 Euro, 85 190D, 84 190D x2,
 84 300D euro manny, 81 240D, 80 240D, 76 240D, 76 300D,