http://www.windowsvienna.com/how-to-download-windows-7-beta-a23.html

It looks like you can sign up now, and if they select you, then you will get to download. I probably don't have hardware hefty enough to run it if it is a resource-hogging jump like vista was from XP.

Rather than buying a bunch of new hardware, I may become an ubutnick like LT Don whenever XP is unserviceable I did prove to my satisfaction that Wizzta will run on minimal hardware when you configure it to the 2000 interface. I found i could even install it on a 10 gig drive, but that left almost no room for patches and SW. Patches have really bloated winders OS since Winders 2000.

At 12:09 PM 1/9/2009, you wrote:
I was at my last remaining car dealer a little while ago and he was on the internet I assume at microsoft where they had a deal you could try out the new windows thats coming out now. Need to see if I can find that and try it out.

Loren Faeth wrote:
That could be. I have never seen the home edition. I know the consumer big boxes foisted it on unsuspecting customers, but I have stayed far, far away from that and the virus formerly known as Winders ME. I have played with vista business some, but found no functional relevance to justify its existence. Just another reason to buy a Mac. The mac OS is the Mac OS. They don't sell crippled versions. (yeah, I know LT DON says I should be running 6 or 8 different versions of ubutnix or some such thing) If you choose to upgrade the Mac OS, it costs something like $100 for a full version, not $400 to $500 or more. a 3-4 yr old Mac generally performs as well as a new windows machine in the experience i have had. I currently still use an ibook 400 mhz for my on the road computer. It will connect to any windows machine and gives me the windows screen via remote desktop. I would like to upgrade to one of the early macbooks some year, as they are about 3 years old now. I got a newer, faster Powerbook G4, but I find myself using the ibook still, even though it is 7-8 years old. I like the small light machine that the old ibook is. The powerbook and even a new macbook are bigger and heavier. Yeah, I know there is the "air" but I often need a cd/dvd, and they are still bigger.
At 08:41 AM 1/9/2009, you wrote:
Perhaps the problem is that mine is the Home Edition, not the Pro.  I can
get to system tools easily enough, but there is no 'backup' choice. I am
doing a search for the ntbackup.exe file at the moment ... no luck there
either.
BillR

-----Original Message-----
From: mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com [mailto:mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com]
On Behalf Of Loren Faeth
Sent: Friday, January 09, 2009 12:38 AM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] O/T BAck up Harddrive

Backup is there in XP Pro.  If you use the bubble gum interface as it
comes out of the box, there should still be a way to get to
accessories through the programs button.  Look for "accessories" or
"system tools."  backup is in system tools.

Or just do a search for ntbackup.exe that should find it for you.

At 05:31 PM 1/8/2009, you wrote:
>Loren - I use XP, which does not have 'backup.' It has a system restore
>feature, which I have set a few times, but any time I have needed it there
>has not been a restore point even though I have created several.
Should I
>use one available on the internet?
>BillR

Loren Faeth

Loren Faeth

Kaleb C. Striplin/Claremore, OK
 92 300SD, 92 300E 4Matic, 91 300D, 91 300E, 89 560SEL,
 89 300E, 87 300SDL x2, 85 380SE 5.0 Euro, 85 190D, 84 190D x2,
 84 300D euro manny, 81 240D, 80 240D, 76 240D, 76 300D,

Loren Faeth