In the 92 300TDt I've a nice "new" looking monster battery, a 100Ah varta, the same as in the other two cars, except those ones are new because I bought them last year.

Earlier this week as I'm out starting it up, and thumping the seat heaters on and watching them flash to indicate low voltage I'm really wondering how old is that battery in the wagon? So I looked around, nada a clue, but there is a serial number burned into the plastic,
so on the varta-automotive.de site found an email link:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Via that I asked, and wonder of wonders got a reply in a few hours and was told the battery was made in 1998.
Which means it could be upwards of 7 years old.

I have heard lately of batteries pushing 7-8+ years, but me thinks I'll wander down to my dealer and replace it this week. My wife has twice experienced battery failure on the highway in our former 89 300TE would not like to encounter any more of those... Or so I have been TOLD...

John
1983 300TDt  358k Kilometers (mobil 1 Delvac)
1992 300TDt  148k Kilometers (mobil 1 Delvac)
1993 500SEL 168k Kilometers (mobil 1 0w40)