not get anything for the 300E as it has a cold start problem that he cannot
solve. He's replaced 6 injectors, rotor and
distributor. (PO did valve job and timing chain). Anyway, I did a little
research on 300E cold start problem and it is
clear that he has not addressed some of the simplest things - cold start valve,
temp sensor, bunch of other things to
check first.

>  I am inclined to do this trade as it could be a really simple fix...seems
> that it is LIKELY to be a simple fix. OTOH, it
could be expensive and complicated.

>  I HAVE NO EXPERIENCE WITH GASSERS, SO I DON"T KNOW IF IT IS A GOOD IDEA TO
> GO AHEAD AND TRADE. I
have a 7:30 meeting to look at it. Appartently has almost no rust, nice
interior, fast, drives well, blah blah.

>  THOUGHTS?
>
>  Chris

Chris,

Check the fuse on the top of the OVP (behind the battery on the passenger side,
silver relay with a 10 amp fuse (red)
in the top of it). If it is blown, your fix may be as simple as replacing the
fuse or the OVP.   ;)

A decent w124 is a nice driving car, but in no way does it measure up to a
w126. Beware of worn links in the rear
multi-link suspension, rust by the rear sub-frame mounts and rockers, and the
other issues known for MBs of this era.
What is the hot idle oil pressure and at what RPM does the gauge peg out at 3
bar when hot after a good run? Also, is
the gearbox still decent on it? Major delay going into reverse?

For the under $2k market one can not be too picky.

Is it a good trade? That will have a lot to do with your own preferences. If
your SD is worn out and the 300e is not, it
may be a good move. On the interstate a w126 is a great machine, the w124 is
fun in the twisties. Truly, apples and
oranges.

Mathieu

2 w126s, one w201, but no w124s.