At 6:08 PM -0600 2/1/09, Kaleb C. Striplin wrote:
OK, I assume that a equalizer is better than just bass and treble adjustments. I have never been able to quite figure out how to adjust an equalizer though. Seems I always have to play with it the whole time a song is going, then the next song seems it needs another adjustment. I was just sitting here listening to some songs on the computer and playing with its equalizer and thought of this question that I have often wondered about. In fact, on my home stereo surround sound, I dont even have the equalizer hooked up anymore for regular non-surround stuff. Any tips, pointers, thoughts etc.

Basic idea with an EQ is to tailor the sound to a particular room, speaker set, etc. Quick and dirty method: Find a reference recording of some sort (say, in your case, a Bert Kaempfert CD). Start it going with the EQ flat and listen to the sound. If it sounds muddy, boost the higher frequency sliders. If it sounds tinny, boost the lower frequency sliders. If it sounds flat, boost the midrange a bit. Once you've found the sweet spot, leave it there; that'll be about as good as you're likely to get.

-MMM-