On Sat, 07 Feb 2009 13:04:09 -0800 (PST) "Tim C." <bb...@crone.us> wrote:

> So, after Peter's pick-me-up email re: my '74 240D, I figured I'd hit
> Craigslist... And lo and behold, a '76 240D:
> http://raleigh.craigslist.org/ctd/1024251350.html
> appeared.
>
> I asked him about the knock, he (shade-tree mechanic, but obviously
> mostly gassers) said it sounds "like a bearing came loose".  I remember
> the recent discussion of diesel knock but... ?
>
> I'm not likely to talk him down much, but we've talked about getting a
> parts car anyway, as 115 parts seem to be getting quite rare in the
> aftermarket.  It would be even better to have a running spare so I could
> swap in and out while waiting for parts from, say, Kaleb.
>
> Thoughts? Especially on whether the loose bearing theory holds water?

When I had our '72 220D/8, I had someone tell me that the engine had a
real problem when he heard it idling with the clutch in and the
transmission in neutral. I also had someone else tell me that our '64
190Dc would never make it from California to Colorado because the engine
was going to blow uo. Both were wrong.

Craig