The repair kit with new gears and rollers is still available as of last year when I bought one.

Peter

On Feb 22, 2009, at 3:01 PM, Hendrik & Fay wrote:

I am pretty sure that Hirschmann aerials of that vintage use a toothed cord, the problem is a lack of maintenance (of which we are all guilty because it is one of those things that only gets attention when they play up), what Dan said was pretty right, even for the toothy variety. There is a roller that presses the cord onto the drum and with a lack of lube the roller stops rolling and as a result a flat spot wears on it, thus you loose tension and the aerial does not work 100%. Disassembly will tell the story. Stripping down an Hirschy aerial is not that hard and you will find out if the aerial mast is working well. There used to be a kit available to fix the roller problem. Another thing that goes wrong is that the plastic tab inside the drum breaks off. Whenever I come across a Hirschy aerial in a wreck I pull it apart to see if it has a good roller in it but that is very rare.

Hendrik
who has a drawer full of old aerials

LWB250 wrote:
It depends on what kind of mast you have. There were some that the nylon "tail was "toothed" on, which would have to be replaced if the teeth are worn or damaged, or the other style, which used a more or less "smooth" nylon "tail" that the friction wheel grabbed between it and a pinch roller.

If you open it up and find you have the one with the smooth tail, first check the pinch roller and spring to make sure they're working properly, then take the antenna "tail" and feed it in 180 degrees from the direction it had previously would around the drum on. That presents a smooth tail for the friction wheel to get a grip on, and it will once again work as intended.

The friction wheel sort of knurls the side it contacts due to the ridges that are machined into it, so the side opposite the wheel is more or less untouched.

Dan