Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 08:41:04 -0400

From: ned kleinhenz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Subject: [MBZ] Studded snows

To: Mercedes Diesel List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

What is your experience with snow tires?

In planning for this winter, I notice Nokian seems to offer more serious
options in studded tires.

But I have always avoided studded tire because I thought:

1. Studded tires are definitely benficial on ice.

2. The studs provide little, if any benefit on snow.

3. The studs actually decrease traction on wet and dry pavement above
feezing temps.

4. In many states you are required to limit the use of studs to a few months
of the year.

So, unless you drive on ice a lot, studs are probably disadventageous.

Are my assumptions correct?

Ned Kleinhenz

'95 E300D x2

'85 300D