Yep, already fixed that issue.  It was clogged ( I got it on Craigslist for
pocket change ).. shut down after an hour os so of use.  When I fixed the dust
collection problem ( I took it apart and cleaned it out ) it ran fine.   I can
always tell when the bootup has triggered the svchost fault.. the fan runs wide
open keeping the CPU cool.  When the cpu is idling like it's supposed to, the
fan is very quiet.

Its a neat old laptop, and great for my purposes.

Thanks all for the help.  I will mess with it tomorrow and see if I can
determine what's setting off that service via the info from Don,

Gnite..

Richard