How fast does the engine spin (i.e. normal sound speed or look at the RPM gauge) when trying to start? What is the voltage across the battery when you are trying to start? This sounds like it could be a starter that's crapped out.

Luther

B Dike wrote:
Hi All,

Back again after a long absence...with a problem...

My 85 300CD won't start. It runs great once it starts (w/ jumping, boosting,
charger in place), but over the period of a week it got so it would not start
period.  I replaced batter, GPs, filters, adjusted valves, checked IP timing,
etc. etc., basically everything I could without ripping the engine apart.
Still no start.

Yesterday I checked the voltage at the GPs.  At the relay, the voltage was 12
volts, but at the GPs, it was 10 volts!  Is a 2 volt drop across the GP wire
bundle normal?? The GP wires all approx.1/2 Ohm resistance.  What should it be?
 Could the current be low from the relay (thinking V = IR) ?

Need some help here please.
Thanks,

B.
--