On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 6:37 AM, WILTON <wilt...@nc.rr.com> wrote:
> Another waste of money on ridiculous grille and wheels, 'specially for a car
> sitting in the weeds.

Yeah, I think the grill is ugly too, but there's no shortage of used
123 grills out there (unless it is a coupe-specific part?).  The
wheels are a period-correct upgrade, and therefore OK in my book (kind
of like when people build '50s-style hot rods using only hop-up parts
that were actually available in the '50s---a '30s Ford with a
tricked-out flathead rather than a new Chevy crate motor, for
example).  That is to say, I remember a number of BMWs and Mercedes in
the '80s wearing 15" or 16" BBS wheels with the center section tinted
gold, black, or body-colored and the outer edge polished
aluminum---giving a very different look from, say, the lowered 123
coupe with huge late-model C or CLK wheels and ultra-low-profile tires
that somebody posted a few days ago.

My only experience with an M110 engine was in my old 280SLC Euro,
which had a slushbox and a frustrating lack of grunt unless you
floored it at every green light like a 240D.  I always thought the car
would be completely transformed by a stick. Were I looking for another
gasser project, I would be all over this 280CE, even with a 4-speed.
(Would a contemporaneous 5-speed bolt up to the 110, I wonder?
Another guy on CL here has a 5-speed 201 with Euro headlights for $900
that sounds like it's been run hard and put away wet, but might be a
parts goldmine...)

Alex