From: mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com [mailto:mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com]
On Behalf Of Tom Hargrave
Sent: Wednesday, April 22, 2009 11:52 PM
To: 'Curt Raymond'; 'Diesel List'
Subject: Re: [MBZ] SATA controller?

RAID 6 is a more secure RAID 5. RAID 6 calculates and writes double the
checksum blocks that RAID 5 writes.

Both RAID 5 and 6 suffer a performance penalty. This is why RAID 5 and 6
controllers have cache, to make up for some of the performance hit. Even
with the buffer, many RAID 5 and 6 arrays perform worse than the single
drives they are made of.

I suggest building a good RAID 0 from two 10K RPM drives and a good
controller. Write speed will be the same but you will have a 33 percent
read speed improvement.

Thanks, Tom
256-656-1924