In another session in the evening I scraped off the gasket surfaces
and installed the water pump.  That took a long time, due to the
tenacity of the old gasket.  I tried to be careful with the razor
blade not to damage the metal surfaces.  Once done I transferred the
thermostat to the new pump, but used the new O-ring seal that came
with the pump.  (I made sure to install the jiggle valve up.)  The two
slightly-longer pump mounting bolts must go in where they came out, at
the bottom and bottom-right of the water pump where the thicker bosses
on the pump are else they'll bottom out in the holes and not clamp.  I
wire-brushed the rust off of the one very long bolt that goes through
the body before reinstalling it.  The new gasket had a small tear most
of the way through at one point, that was very distressing to find.
At least it was at the top and not the bottom, so any leak will be
very visible.  I used Permatex anaerobic sealer to goop the torn area
before reassembly, it should be fine.  I got the pump and thermostat
housings assembled, and the radiator feed fitting partially installed
before I had to quit again.

This job is turning out to be very slow!

-- Jim