All the information Loren speaks of is in the TDM (Technical data manual). They were published annually for the most part and cover information pertinent for a specific model year range. My collection of these is one of the most valuable tools I have in my technical library.

FWIW, never and I mean never try to R&R front springs on one of these cars without the proper tools. Use the Klann compressor or nothing. Is your life really worth being a cheapskate about this sort of thing? Last I checked, spare lives and limbs were on backorder. I've seen first hand what happens when one of these springs lets fly and it is akin to a grenade going off. It has enough force to decapitate you!

Regarding the OPs car, before condemning springs look to all the other suspension rubber as suggested by your fellow listers. Shot upper and lower ball-joints will cause a good 1" of ride height to be lost alone! However, despite the pontifications of many in the MB online community, these springs do become weak and require replacement over time. The way to check besides the obviously broken or completely collapsed spring is to remove the spring and measure it. Then compare that length to the specification given in the TDM. The TDM provides strict instructions on how to measure the springs. Knowing the chassis and the colors on the springs will allow you to determine the correct specification. Lastly, always replace springs in pairs and ideally on all four corners at a time. It does make a difference.

Lastly, if replacing the springs, make sure you have the correct spring pads to replace the worn out, old ones with. They are often dry rotten, collapsed, and sometimes gone missing. The TDM also covers the variety of spring pads available. Those nubs on the side of the upper pad have meaning.

Regards,

Mathieu Cama

Old World Automotive
Lawrenceville, GA