I rebuilt the vacuum pump on my son's 240D today, Thanks Rich for the link
and the tips!  The 6" wobble extension on a short ratchet was right on the
money!

I have actually done this job before on my wife's 300TD, but was unable to
find the plywood jig that I used to bolt the pump to.  I decided not to
build another, and thought that clamping to a Workmate would cut it.  It
actually worked very well.  I used 26 mm of spacers under the pump, but
found that it bowed the diaphragm up too high so that the bolt holes in the
diaphragm were up above the flange.  I evenly loosened the clamps until
there was about a 6 mm space between the pump base and the workmate and the
diaphragm laid flat.  So for my pump at least, 20 mm would be the correct
spacing.  Proviso for any who attempt to do the job this way:  I attached
the clamps myself, but an extra pair of hands would have made it easier!

Here is a pic of the pump clamped to the workmate:

http://my.opera.com/gfior/albums/showpic.dml?album=762222&picture=10280395

Greg Fiorentino
'85 300SD
'80 240D 4 spd. manual