> Allan Streib wrote:

> Anyone use those bearing packers that are sold at Sears and
> FLAPS?  Sort of a cone-shaped contraption that has two halves,
> I never was quite sure how they worked.  I assume ou put the
> bearing on the cone, fill the other half with grease, and
> squeeze them together... or does it work with a grease gun,
> somehow?

If what I have is what you are thinking of, it uses a grease
gun. The lower cone seals against the inside race and the upper
cone seals against the carrier. Grease is then pumped through.

It works. It's not as efficient with the grease as the hands-on
method - and it doesn't lend its self to the toothpaste tube of
MB grease.

So when I was doing 8 bearing in one day, it was great. But for
one now and then it's probably not worth the trouble.

--    Philip