I'll note the dealers in Canada now have access to the Europe EPC online so getting parts etc is a snap for them now, they just enter the Euro VIN number confusion about year does not matter.

My 83 300TDt was ordered as a USA California spec car with Europe delivery to an officer in the Canadian military, until the dealers had local Euro EPC access it was a pain to get parts for since the VIN was not in the USA EPC for some obscure reason.