Rich Thomas wrote:
This is a pretty good deal if anyone needs some more storage -- no tax, free shipping. Hitachi builds some high-end stuff.

That's the same one I bought from Zipzoomfly last month when there was a $10 rebate. It cost me $84 IIRC when newegg wanted $90. Now it's $76 without screwing with the rebate. Should have waited to order it, I didn't get around to formatting it until last weekend anyway.
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10009440

The XP SP1 disk I had recognized it as 127GB, so I set it up with a 127GB partition, then repartitioned it with Mepis after I updated the XP install.

Now I've got 25GB partitions for XP and Mepis, and a 50GB for Vista, and I'll put all the programs and data on a fourth partition which is about 830GB.
One more weekend and I should have the drive permanently installed in my
computer.

BTW, did I mention that Staples sold me a new Compaq in December with only one hard drive bay in it, and six slow, outdated USB ports so that I get an error message every time I plug in my EVDO modem? (you dummy, this device will run better if you plug it into a proper USB port, says Windows) My five year old $300 eMachine might not have the processor speed or RAM of the new Compaq, but it's got faster USB ports and room for 2-3 hard drives. And the onboard sound was far better on the eMachine.

Mitch.