If doing something simple that makes you significantly healthier, wealthier, and happier (and helps do the same for others) makes one a nutjob extremist, sign me up!

I think it's funny how people dismiss bicycling as something only done by nutjob extremists. If more people would use bicycles when they don't need to carry anything large, and are going less than 20 miles (nearly all driving)- this single change would cause major effects on the obesity epidemic (and corresponding illnesses), disposable income (helping the economic crisis), dependence on foreign oil, air pollution, and global warming. All without inventing anything new, or passing any laws which restrict peoples rights and opportunities.

In the USA the average person takes 3-4 car trips per day, with an average distance of 10 miles each. If someone took two of these trips via bicycle they would spend about an hour riding- which is just about the amount of daily exercise necessary to maintain cardiovascular health.

My question is- what kind of nutjob wouldn't ride a bike?

Sources:
http://www.industrializedcyclist.com/nhts.pdf
http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?isbn=0309085373

Tyler

ernest breakfield wrote:
green? uh, yeah, sure, whatever,... sure, bicycling is more environmentally friendly, but moreover, who amongst us couldn't stand to slow down a little, and/or get more exercise? what? no high blood pressure? no high cholesterol? no extra fat to spare? forgive the generality, but it seems that the people who complain about cycling like this the most are often the ones who could most benefit from it.