There is a fairly simple test for reducing sugars called the Symoigy (or some variation on the spelling, it's been 30 years or more since I did one). Extract the fuel with a small quantity of water -- the sugars will migrate into the water while you shake the mix.

Add several mL of concentrated sulfuric acid to three or four mL of the water extract -- the reducing sugars will turn brown.

You will have to have a colorimeter of some sort to get a real number, but I would suppose significant brown color would be a problem.

You may have to look for a difference between the initial and final colors, too, as poorly washed biodiesel will result in brown water when you wash it. Properly made, a water wash should be clear --- it IS being washed after making it, right?

Peter